May 3, 2013

NRA Needs to Watch Its Rhetoric; My Membership Under the Crosshairs



At the Houston convention this weekend the NRA will be transferring the president-ship from David Keene to Jim Porter. And he is a hardcore "Knox" on gun rights.


There's just one problem. His rhetoric is extremist, and Chris Cox isn't helping by beating the wrong war drum. I am fine and dandy with Porter going after Obama for being an anti-gunner, and a few months ago I would have agreed to saying he is anti-constitutionalist.


However, because someone hates one amendment doesn't mean they hate them all. That is a fallacy I corrected myself on. If you hate the American Constitution, you hate it. If you think it's garbage, you think the entire thing is garbage. And in my personal opinion, if you hate the US Bill of Rights, you don't belong here.


I come from a family background where half of my family is racist; more-so culturally than by skin color. I know where Porter is coming from with his ideology that "the South didn't lose the war", and he is walking a very fine and dangerous line with moderates like me. I had more ancestors fight for the confederacy than the union, and that split in my ancestry is about 60/40 respectively.


While we shouldn't  forget the horrors of the American Civil War, talks of a culture divide, and especially this "purging" of anyone that doesn't fit the redneck stereotype within the NRA (which I see incoming) will weaken the power of the NRA and it's core message, because people like me will leave it for other organizations. Don't think I have the attitude of a "northerner", for half my life I grew up in the south. I know where I am going with this.


Christopher Cox, one of the heads of the ILA branch (litigation) is also saying the following:

"While we pray for God to comfort those suffering unimaginable pain, they rush to microphones and cameras, gather in war rooms on Capitol Hill and scheme about how to use that suffering to push their political agenda," he continued. "That's who they are and what they believe, but not us."

Cox is right in one respect- they are using the Newtown tragedy out of Rahm Emanuel's playbook [Play #XX: Never let a good tragedy go to waste]. It's fairly obvious that since Newtown, Connecticut the anti's have been exploiting the tragedy, using children as props in their quest to attack 2nd amendment rights. The "us" versus "them" argument. That's what we have here, but look at the structure of this statement. Cox is part of the ILA- he knows when he speaks or writes he needs to articulate his sentences very carefully. He said:

"We pray to God"

"They rush off to plan how they can utilize suffering"


"That's what they believe"

"That's not us"


I want an explanation from Christopher Cox before I decide not to renew my NRA membership. I am sure there are plenty of Muslim members as well as ones that are not religious at all. When someone says that the NRA doesn't have one single atheist as a member, they are wrong. I am living proof of that example, because they have at least one. A lot of people think the irreligious are monsters and are a corrupting cesspool of evil. That is simply not true- I am a moral person who believes that morals do not come from a higher power. That's as far as I take religion in this post- because any further breaks my rule of no religion on this blog. The other is no politics- outside of gun rights.

NRA members are seen as Tea Partying, bible thumping adam's apple lumping tobacco chewing mid-40's worshipping gun nuts who have their minds closed off to religion. There, I went politically incorrect. In order to break this stigma, the NRA has been doing an excellent job up until now of gathering gun owners under one banner to unite against the anti's.

Cox's message, at least to me is a divisive one as well as this language about the Civil War and the south. This bullshit, I don't know what else to call it- needs to stop. And it needs to stop now. If the NRA thinks it can alienate even a small minority of members who are not Christian and still maintain its strength, then the organization has lost touch with its roots and its original intent:

1) To teach safe, responsible firearms ownership
2) To stick to protecting gun rights for all law abiding American citizens irrespective of their walk of life, race, creed or religion.

If it continues with this divisive rhetoric at a time when we need to stand together, I will be forced to cancel my NRA membership.


sources
http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/politics/2013/05/new-nra-president-jim-porter-knocked-fake-president-obama/
http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/2013/05/03/gun-control-in-crosshairs-at-nra-convention/





No comments: